Saturday, July 5, 2008

Fashion Inspiration: Sweet Bird of Youth

Lauren and I are big fans of Tennessee Williams - especially if one of his characters is played by Paul Newman. That's why we rented the 1961 film version of Sweet Bird of Youth. Geraldine Page's great outfits were an added bonus.

Photobucket

My absolute favorite outfit is this drape-y, beige dress:
Photobucket

I tried to get some screen captures that show-off the great cut and movement of the dress. It's so flattering and moves so naturally - I would love to have something even half as nice.
Photobucket

Although her outfits aren't as modern as Page's, Shirley Knight also wears some fantastic outfits:
Photobucket

The fashion in this film didn't excite me quite as much as Serpico, but it's still well worth a look!

CL

PS: Thank you to everyone for the lovely birthday wishes!!!

9 comments:

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

Pretty outfits! I love the fashion inspiration that comes from films.

Sharon S said...

I love this last dress-the rose pink one!! Glad you both a good birthday!!

yiqin; said...

I love Shirley's hair! I think hair was so much more stylish last time!

Elizabeth said...

Wow, that pink goddess thing is very risqué!

There are lots of nice things in that movie. I'll have to check it out.

L.I.N said...

i love the drapes on her dresses.

and i know im late, but happy birthday nonetheless!

this wheel's on fire said...

so pretty!

AsianCajuns said...

The clothes horse, me too! Sometimes it's easier to get inspired by seeing clothing worn as opposed to just hanging on models in magazines.

Sharon rose, thank you! I wish I could have gotten a full shot of the pink dress, but it wasn't possible - darn.

Yiqin, you are too right. I love the hair in the movie!

Eleh, thank you! Yep, the drape of the dress is my favorite part!

This wheel's on fire, you said it!

Anonymous said...

I LOOOVVVEEE fashion from the Golden Age of Hollywood! You should check out Edith Head's work. She best known for A Place in the Sun, the Hitchcock films, and some Audrey movies, too :-)

AsianCajuns said...

Terri, I'm a huge fan of Edith Head. I love her work in a Roman Holiday!