Monday, July 13, 2009

Behind the Scenes: Styling a Shoot

Our gorgeous model Halley working hard with the very talented Jamie.

Yesterday Cath and I spent all morning styling a photoshoot at the Wren's Nest (home of Joel Chandler Harris, author of the Brer Rabbit stories). We had an awesome team of talented people to help us (including our model in the above pics and the lovely people below):

Lar, Cath, Amy (the make-up artist), Jamie (the photographer), Lain (executive director of the Wren's Nest) and Amelia (program director of the Wren's Nest).

I got in touch with the lovely ladies at a few local boutiques to borrow some clothes for the shoot. We borrowed playful, but elegant dresses and blouses from both Jac and Kaleidoscope.
This sparkly tunic ended up on our model in the bathtub with sparkly fairy lights. The yellow blouse looked great against all the green in the backyard of the Nest.

Amy's hand looking all professional and make-up artisty.

For the "sets" I wanted to take advantage of the fact that we were using a historic home. Amelia and Lain let us pile up old books and do-dads, blow up balloons, place fairy lights in an old claw-footed bathtub, scatter cupcakes around the rooms- essentially do whatever Tim Walker would have done with an old Victorian/Queen Anne interior and no budget.
A few Joel Chandler Harris books piled amongst dictionaries and other stories of the South. 


In Joel Chandler Harris' daughter's room I scattered the fairy lights (I'm a big fan of those if you can't tell), and Cath and I batted some balloons around as Jamie took photos of Halley in a sweet magenta frock.

We can't wait to see the final product, and will definitely show you guys the photos once Jamie has put her final magic touch on them.

Hope you all had a lovely weekend too!

p.s. We'll be moderating comments for a bit, only because we are being spammed like crazy. Has anyone else been attacked by this asian spammer and come up with any remedies?

LL

33 comments:

Unknown said...

Fairy lights, balloons, books, and cupcakes? You're after my own heart! I really honestly can't wait to see the results. I peek a gorgeous hot pink dress.

Emily Kennedy said...

The Uniform Project blogger just re-opened her blog after having the comments closed for awhile due to spam. You might be able to contact her and see what methods she's taking.

http://www.theuniformproject.com/

Sher said...

This is so exciting! Love the fairy lights:) I'm sure you girls did a great job!

Ela said...

I am asian but not a spammer, don't block me :)
These are so fabulous! I really love the idea of piling those lovely books and that fantastic camera. Really excited to see the end results!

Andy said...

oooo style a shoot for me too!

Anonymous said...

How exciting! Please do show us the results as soon as you can.

Traveling Distances said...

The set looks great. Cannot wait to see the final product either!

Anonymous said...

That's so amazing and fun! The shoot sounded like a dream to work on. Can't wait to see the photos! BTW, sorry about the sucky spammers. Ugh, so annoying.

xo, Becs

Danielle said...

These are such great pics! I felt like I was there!! :) Can't wait to see the final pics!!

Wanderlusting said...

I hate that damn spammer...I used to get one pretty bad. I just had to delete them...and yes, moderate comments too but they would still leave them and it would still take time to reject them so I just went back to deleting them. He went away eventually.

Ahhh fun shoot! I spy Stila convertible colour in peony (maybe) and Mac lipglass :P

prettylittletangents said...

This sounds like such a fun experience. Would love to hear more about it (ie - were you given any parameters or was it carte blanche whatever you wanted to do?). Can't wait to see the pics! Checked out Jamie's site and her photos are amazing! Thanks for sharing her :)

Noormol said...

omg i can't wait to see the pictures when they are done! the whole thing seems so cute. and I love that you call them "fairy lights!" I use them all the time too! :)

Lisa said...

What a fun way to spend the day. I can't wait to see the finished result; knowing you two and your fashion sense and finely tuned aesthetics, it's bound to be smashing!

. said...

Looks like an awesome photo shoot. I'm totally loving those fairy lights, what a great idea!

liliesandgrapes.blogspot.com

Monica said...

Nice pictures. It sounds like the photo shoot went good. I love that you had it at Joel Chandler Harris' house. I read the stories of Brer rabbit and Brer fox in my American Lit class.

H @ Narnia's Closet said...

oh wow that shoot sounds like it went really well and all of the ideas and settings seem so beautiful! i can't wait to see the final shots!

Allie said...

That's so fun! Can't wait to see the results.

Aline said...

how awesome...I can't wait to see!!!

Fashion Cappuccino said...

Wow, that is so exciting! I can't wait to see the photos! Everything looks so fantastic! xxoxoxo

El Notable said...

Sounds like you guys had a blast!
Can't wait to see the pics.
I just did a post on my blog I am sure you'll really like, it's about fashion bloggers
www.elnotable.blogspot.com

saray said...

sounds like so much fun :)

Diane said...

SO COOL! looks like you guys had a lot of fun! :)

greenjeans said...

I feel like fairy lights and the south go hand in hand. I wouldn't even know how to begin styling something...so cool.

Unknown said...

This looks so amazing and fun! I can't wait to see the final shots!

That's so weird about the spam. You guys even have a captcha thing and everything.

Clare said...

i like that you call them fairy lights. where do you get them? or are they normal xmas lights? i am fond of them. very nice sets guys!

can't wait to see the finished product~<3!

clare

Sharon S said...

Hi there-it sounds like a lot of fun, very professional looking too, well done all round!

Haute World said...

I'm glad you girls had such a great time! I spent quite a bit of time managing shoots and while it's hard work, it's quite a lot of fun as well. I've also had some hit and misses when it came to stylists (on one shoot, the stylist kept dressing the model like a tranny), but it looks like you did a fab job! Maybe I should hire you next time as well :) Can't wait to see the final result!

May Kasahara said...

so much fun!

awesome awesome awesome.

Maeko said...

A Fashion wonderland! I'm so proud of you girls!

Dream Sequins said...

This looks like an amazing time. I love these "behind the scenes" type shots. Amazing, ladies! Work!

Unknown said...

Everything looks magical, what a dream come true! I can't wait to see the final product!!

Anonymous said...

love all the creative ideas...can't wait to see the photos...you guys are amazing!!!

Trains and Sewing Machines said...

Wow this looks so magical!! I Love the fairy lights and balloons and umbrellas *sigh* It must have been so much fun. Can't wait to see the final product!