Friday, July 3, 2009

The Little Black Dress, 365 Ways




Did you guys hear about this on Daily Candy today? If so, we're sorry for the repetition, but if not, do read on.

Sheena Matheiken is wearing the same dress/uniform for the rest of the year: a classic A-line, little black dress. But not only is she styling them and accessorizing her seven black dresses in a different way every day using donated or thrifted goods, she is doing it for a great cause.

Every day she donates $1 to the Akanksha Foundation, devoted to bringing education to children living in slums. One year of styling from Sheena matches the amount the Indian government spends on a child's schooling (about $360).

You can donate money to Akanksha Foundation or you can donate your own accessories and designs directly to Sheena's daily outfits. Fashionistas out there, does that not sounds like a brilliant thing to do? Cath and I hope to get in touch with her to style one of her outfits.

If you aren't the philanthropic type- just visit The Uniform Project to check out Sheena's creativity with a scarf and socks. A very creative do-gooder fashionista. Inspiration indeed.

To find out more, visit The Uniform Project site here.

26 comments:

Wanderlusting said...

What a freakin' great idea! This takes guts and I admire her. Blown away!!

Lisa said...

I heard about this project on a different blog a couple weeks ago. Ingenious! Even the creativity shown in the pics you've selected here astounds me.

Unknown said...

I did hear about it a while ago actually ...but IT'S SUCH A GREAT IDEA! ...and she's adorable! It's a great way to really get creative with your accessories!

~ Faith said...

I love this idea, so original, and she's so creative... every day!

~F

Unknown said...

I've seen this a couple of times around the blogosphere and am constantly amazed. So amazed in fact that I went to buy knee high socks to get a little bit of her styling magic. Which is completely not the point of the project which is all about sustainability :( I try so hard to be good! Nevertheless, a fantastic idea.

greenjeans said...

I'd like to think the lack of variety in the way I dress is due to my generosity, but really it's because I just wear jeans and a shirt...hence the lack of outfit posts-it'd be the same thing pretty quickly.

It is a really really cool idea.

Lesley said...

Wow that's really cool! I can't wait to see how she changes it up!

Ela said...

I hadn't heard, what a fabulous idea! There's a girl that really means it when she falls in love with an item and says "I could wear it with everything!"
Thanks for the cute comment :) My husband was intrigued as the stinker doesn't read my blog...he only reads the comments, LOL.

Winnie said...

Seriously she is doing so well and really mixing up that dress!

fashion lover said...

very cool!

Fashion Cappuccino said...

What an inspiring project! I love the way she styled her outfits and I'm going to check her out right now! xxoxoxo

Annie Spandex said...

I have heard of this project but it really is so genius it bears repeating :)

superumi said...

i heard about this project too!!
so inspiring.

Trains and Sewing Machines said...

What an amazing idea!! I love all the outfits already!!

Emily Kennedy said...

That is brilliant! Thanks so much for posting about it!

Unknown said...

This is such a beautiful and wonderful project. x

Elizabeth Marie said...

Such a great idea...I admire her so much!


YES I'm a twin! yay for us! :) XO

yiqin; said...

It is sucha great idea!!

Melissa~ said...

I did hear about this, anyway is awesome!
That dress is magic.
first time I visit your blog, and I love it!

Noormol said...

wow that's quite a challenge! but it's a great way to make a statement!

. said...

I love it. This is such a fab idea!

liliesandgrapes.blogspot.com

Anonymous social worker said...

wHAT UP with the asian letter? lol
I <3 number 2, the big hat the red tights, very cool indeed.

Anonymous said...

Wow, sounds amazing! I've often thought about doing that - not wearing a dress every day but basic solid American Apparel t-shirts in different colors. No spending on anything else for a year would save a lot of money and it's a fabulous idea that she's giving it to charity! Thanks for sharing!

Aline said...

so awesome....I just love the idea!

LF said...

She's adorable!! that little bob has me questioning growing my hair out, so cute!


def going to look into the link, thanks for sharing!


jess s///

Maeko said...

The idea is brilliant, but I am not sure about that dress. It's a bit bland for my taste.